Sunday, June 25, 2006

We played like we never had before, we lost like always

The day could have not started better, Aimee and I got hoocked up with tickets to Mexico vs Argentina game in Leipzin, Germany. We traveled from Nuremberg to Leizing (about a 4 hour ride in train) at 630 in the morning to make sure that I was going to really get hooked up with the tickets. I did get the tickets and not just any cheap tickets, but the ones on category one close to the ground and among soccer celebrities and players family.

The city was hot and thousands of Mexicans and Argentinas walked trough main square to party for what was going to be a great match.



There were all sort of unusal chants from both sides but at the end a friendly festive celebration was what we all care about.

We spent all day drinking, singing and walking though the streets of main square. We took many pics and eat a good Argentinian steak, as a methaphor for what I wished for the Argentinian team that night.

There was all sort of unsual characters at the stadium, Mexicans in bycicles, people dress as the characters from TV, and of course the Mexicans who love to dress as King Aztecs.


We got to the stadium about 7:30 pm and it is beatifull. It is defenitly one of the most beautifull places I have seen so far. When I got there, I could not believe my eyes for the seats we got. We were among soccer royalty and we saw everything really, really close.

The game was great, but we ended up loosing and we are out of the world cup. It is unfortunate because Mexicans are a few of the people who bring the best athmosphere to the towns where the games are happening.

The best thing of all for me was to see Aimee really into the game. She jumped and yelled when Mexico scored, and sadden along with anger when we lost. It was good to see her so excited and that makes me very happy.



We came back to Nuremberg this morning, but had to spend the night at the train station because there was no trains until 3:45 am this morning. The central stations of Leipzing was full of Mexicans waiting for all sort of destinations and it was quite an spectacle to see them all sleeping on the floor wrapped with the Mexican flag or people sleeping with a bit sombrero on top of them.

I am sad that we are out, but it is what it is and the world cup moves on. I will be watching from Nurember the game Portugal vs Holland and then I will move on to Dortmund to watch Brazil vs Ghana.

We will be posting soon.

5 comments:

  1. Hey G... Truly sorry Mexico lost, yet that match-up by far the best game of the cup in my opinion... so much action in that game!

    Reading into your blog postings, it sounds like you are having the time of your life.

    Q? Going into the elimiation round to the fans become even more animated based upon your picture to-date?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloo Aimee y Gerardo, siento mucho lo de Mexico, cuando estaba viendo el juego pense que Mexico iba a ganar, pero lo que importa es la representacion, ganaron de milagro asi que tranquilos... Que sigan disfrutando muchoooooooooo!!!

    Los Quiere,

    Doraliz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey brother.

    It weas a gr8 match and Mexico should be very proud.

    No shame whatsoever in losing that game.

    I just wanted to say thanks to you for helping convert me into a much bigger soccer (football) fan.

    I have always been nothing more than a fringe fan but because of your excitement and your blog and just how damn copol it is that you took off for a month to be there for it, I am now a true convert and a huge fan of the world cup.

    I have watched more soccer this month than probably the rest of my life prior and it is so cool!

    I now have attending a world cup live as one of my must do things before I die!

    So thanks brother and again be proud as Mexico fought bravely and played better than I think anyone thought they could or would.

    Later,
    Clint

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Clint. These soccer matches have been so exciting. The game-winning goal by Argentina in the match against Mexico was outstanding. No shame in losing to that kind of shot. Perfect!

    Can't wait to watch the Brazil v Ghana match...should be fun. The Brazilians are amazing.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi G and Aimee. Sorry it took me so long to sdrop a line. I can't believe it's been over two week since you arrived in Germany. Sorry to hear about Mexico. Congrats on the great tickets. Sounds like they were awesome seats.

    No longer a blog virgin
    Denise

    ReplyDelete